You definitely “get more than you give” when you volunteer!
I love to volunteer around my interests: mentoring, techie stuff, dogs and gardening. Below are some of the groups that I’m involved with that match my passions.
- Commonwealth Development: A non-profit that mentors our local youth with job interviewing and placement. I’m involved in “mock interviews” so that young high school students can practice before they go out and apply for jobs. The organization works with students on resume development, interviewing techniques and provides critical feedback.
- Merlin Mentors: Mentoring group for techie oriented entrepreneurs. A diverse group of seasoned executives and fellow entrepreneurs help startup companies with ideas that need further tweaking and feedback. Mentor teams form up and stay with a “mentee” for months to make sure they are on their path to success!
- MOM (Middleton Outreach Ministry): A local non-profit that has a great food/clothing pantry and a garden for their clients. The food pantry saves many families when their cupboards are thin. I also volunteer in the MOM Garden where we mentor families that want to learn how to grow their own food. I love introducing folks to the ease of gardening with some "green thumbs" and patience.
- Occupaws: Terrific non-profit that raises English Labrador puppies to help visually impaired citizens. Puppies are raised for 18 months by Puppy Raisers, then sent off to harness training for another year. I provide “respite care” for puppy raisers so they can take a vacation. The dogs are FREE to blind people and the organization is always looking for more folks to help out. Who doesn’t love a cute puppy!
- TEMPO: Women’s professional group where local women collaborate on community issues and network. I serve on the Board as Hospitality Chair. The board is more formal so it has exposed me to board rules and leadership. It’s a great opportunity to serve my Tempo sisters!