- IT Disruption
- White Collar Jobs
- Higher Ed
- Tech and Industries of the Future
The internet has created profitable and influential corporations with diminutive workforces. Examples below include:
- Google: 2012 profit of $14 billion with 38,000 employees, 20% less number of workers than General Motors below
- General Motors: 1979 profit of $11 billion with 840,000 workers
- Winner take all nature of the cell phone ecosystem will create few very successful and large companies
White Collar Jobs
- As an example, WorkFusion http://www.workfusion.com/ is a company that develops software. Their platform manages execution of projects that were once labor intensive through combination of crowdsourcing and automation (eliminate in-house employees)
- Typically temporary jobs are posted on elance and Craigslist. WorkFusion software now manages recruitment and selection of freelance workers. The software allocates and tracks performance. It does this by asking freelancers to answer questions to which it already knows the answer to test accuracy.
- Machine learning algorithms look for opportunities to further automate this process.
- Sample project savings: The goal was to retrieve information to automate a collection of 40,000 records. Cost originally was $4 per record which drops to $.20 cents! That is a cost drop of 50% in one year.
Yesterday on March 23 2017 I see this headline: ManpowerGroup to lay off 150 in Milwaukee, Automation and technology driving downsizing
What do you think? Can your job be automated or robotized? If your job requires emotional intelligence and steady interaction with customers or co-workers, it's less likely your job will be automated. I would love to hear from listeners if they have been "outsourced". Let me know!