I’m an avid reader of both non-fiction and fiction. I’m also an occasional insomniac and reading is my way to combat it and plow through many books. Here’s my list of “Goode Reads” for 2016 which are mostly non-fiction except for the last entry.
- Hillbilly Elegy: Quick read by author JD Vance that helps to understand the issues behind the voters who went for Trump. In this discouraging year of campaign politics, this book provides understanding of some very frustrated voters in the rural areas where they live.
- Evicted: Poverty and Profit in an American City Very powerful read about the plight of low-income Milwaukeean’s written by an author who lived among them in a trailer park. Since I am a landlord it was especially moving and led me to tears.
- Work Rules!: Written by the “Head of People” at Google. Fascinating playbook of how Google recruits, trains and retains their employees. A must read for corporate HR/Recruiting staff.
- There is Life after College by Jeffrey Selingo: Very helpful book for parents and students on navigating college choices, majors, internships and locations for optimizing your career journey. Don't wait to read this! High school is ideal time.
- Being Immortal: I’m a big fan of all of Atul Guwande’s (M.D/author) books. This one is a lesson for how we can die with dignity and how unprepared many of us are for this final journey. I was able to hear him speak in Madison a year ago, he’s brilliant!
- Confidence Code: The Science and art of Self-Assurance. MUST read for any women especially our young daughters. I wish I could have read this in my early 20’s but it’s never too late!
- Grit: Passion, Perseverance, and the Science of Success. Talent alone is not the only marker of success. How you get up and move on after failure is much more important. Good news for those of us that had some career bumps along the road.
- Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty: Escapism read when I really can’t sleep. Moriarty has many other books that are next on my list.
I would love to hear from others on their favorite books. Read On!